Did you know there are certain techniques you can adopt very easily that – when added together – could help you economize up to 30% in fuel consumption? UD Trucks is currently developing driver-training courses in order to help improve your fuel economy - Until then, try to follow these few simple steps.
Planning your routeRemember, the shortest route is not necessarily the most fuel-efficient!
Scanning the road
• Look ahead as far as possible, see where the truck will be in 45 seconds
• Check your mirrors often
Trimming your speed
• Keep your eyes on the speedometer and your foot off the gas
• Drive at a constant speed to minimize fuel consumption
• Stay within the speed limit
• But please keep in mind, the posted speed limit is not always safe
Did you know?
For every 5km/h increase in speed, your fuel efficiency decreases by around 3 to 5%
How much fuel does it take to move a loaded truck from a standstill to cruising speed?
0-65km/h = 0.54 liter
25-65km/h = 0.42 liter
So if safe, try to keep the mass rolling.
ROLLING WITHOUT RESISTANCE
• How much more fuel do you consume when your tires are underinflated?
• Tire pressure has the greatest effect on rolling resistance
• So check your tire pressure regularly and always with a pressure gauge
Keep your eyes on Roads magazine for more driving tips.
The Roads team would like to hear from UD truckers around the world! Send us your tips from your roads! Write to us at: email@example.com